Rotary Attendance and Make-Up Policies
The purpose of this document is to establish the Rotary attendance/make-up policies for the Sunset Rotary Club of Davis.
- A member is required to attend or make up at least 60 percent of club meetings in each half of the year, of which half (30 percent) must come from attendance of this club’s regular meetings.
- If a member fails to attend as required, the member’s membership shall be subject to termination unless the board consents to such non-attendance for good cause.
- Consecutive Absences; Unless otherwise excused by the board for good and sufficient reason, each member who fails to attend or make up four consecutive regular meetings shall be informed by the board that the member’s non-attendance may be considered a request to terminate membership in this club. Thereafter, if no response is received from the member, the board, by a majority vote, may proceed to terminate the member’s membership.
Making up a missed meeting
A member may make up for a missed meeting within two weeks before or after the meeting. If you anticipate missing a meeting, you can make up for it up to two weeks before that date. If you miss a meeting, you have up to two weeks after the missed meeting to make up. Members do not have to make up for times when the club does not meet. If a member attempts to make up at another club and that club either did not meet that week or changed venues, the club member can let their club’s secretary and treasurer know the date and time of the attempted make-up and it will count as a makeup towards a missed meeting.
How a member can make-up
When a member misses a meeting, there are several ways to make up for the absence:
Attend a club function
Examples of Sunset Rotary Club of Davis functions that count as make-ups:
- Monthly board meetings
- Committee meetings
- Sunset Rotary Club events
- Board approved club socials
- RYLA (Rotary Youth Exchange) meetings or RYLA camp.
- Community projects such as MIP
- Demotion dinner
Attend another Rotary Club meeting
Check individual clubs online to find a club near you and to determine meeting days/times. Be sure to bring back some kind of proof of attendance. Most clubs have a makeup card or a bulletin available.
Attend a District Rotary function
Any Rotary District function counts as a make-up, including:
- District Conference
- District Planning Sessions
- PET’s Training Sessions
- Rotaract meetings or functions
- Rotary Youth Exchange Student planning sessions
Note: The Sunset Rotary Club Board may vote to approve up to four make-ups for any multi-day Rotary meeting or function. These would include:
- RI International Convention
- RYLA camp.
You can go online at http://www.rotaryeclubone.org/ to do a makeup. When you finish the exercise you choose, be sure to enter your e-mail address two times in the blanks provided. In the third blank, enter your club secretary’s e-mail address. The club secretary for 2014-2015 is Elaine Roberts Musser. Her e-mail address is: email@example.com. (Club secretary email information is always available at the club website.) Also print out a copy of the e-makeup in case something happens and it does not get sent to the club secretary. Every attempt should be made to attend a local club prior to attending an on-line make-up.
Making up when outside the member’s country of residence
When a member is outside the member’s country of residence for more than eight (8) days, neither the time restriction nor required make-ups as described above shall be imposed. A member may attend meetings in another country at any time during the travel period and each such attendance shall count as a valid make-up for any regular meeting missed during the member’s time abroad.
Reporting Make-ups to the Club Secretary/Treasurer
Anytime you have participated in a Rotary function and need it recorded as a make-up, please contact the club secretary and the club treasurer. Here is what they will need to know:
- Function Name
- Function location
- Function date
- What missed meeting you would like to apply the make-up
Leave of Absence
A member may request a leave of absence from club attendance for up to six months. Although the member will not be expected to pay the cost of the weekly meals, it is expected the member will remain current on all club dues. A request for the leave of absence should be presented in an e-mail format to the club president who in turn will present the request to the board for their approval.
Updated: October, 2014